Thursday, August 20, 2009

Summer in Spain

This was one of the most amazing summers of my life. I went on the study abroad program for our school, "Summer in Spain." This was one of the most enriching experiences I will probably encounter as a law student. I got to learn about the laws of another country, which surprisingly made me value the laws of this country more. I also made lifelong friends and got to learn so much about the culture and traditions of Spain. The program was only a month long, but it will always remain in my heart as one of the most memorable things I did while in law school. Monsignor Anderson, the professor for our Comparative Law class, walked in the first day and said "the law is simple." I think we all laughed. After having all "survived" our first year of law school, there was nothing we could come up with at the time that was "simple." Having given this a lot more thought, however, I have come to realize that he may be right. I think the foundation of law as a whole is simple, but as lawyers, it is our job to take that knowledge and create something bigger. No client is going to walk in and tell us "Hello, my name is Joe and I have a tort." We need to be able to hear someone's story and in our heads say, that problem seems to be some sort of tort. As long as we have the foundation of the knowledge we have gained while in school, whether its from professors, case law, decisions that simply dumbfounded us, or even things our fellow colleagues have said, we will be able to come up with solutions to the problems presented to us. I honestly recommend everyone who has an opportunity to attend this program, to do so. I made lifelong friends, got good grades, learned more than I could imagine both in the classroom and outside, and had a great time!

Until next time,
Aimee S.

No comments:

Post a Comment