Friday, June 19, 2009

One Year Down...

            Unlike many, my ultimate goal has not always been to go to law school. I know that some have dreamt of becoming a lawyer for as long as they can remember. Not me. When I was young, I wanted to be a chef. I dreamed of wearing a starched white coat, and a tall hat (and… a hairnet), however that dream was quickly put to rest when I realized that the cooking gene definitely does not run in my family- I literally cannot even scramble eggs. It’s pathetic. So, I decided it was time to move on to another passion… but it certainly was not easy for me to decide what that passion was. Other than my failed culinary ambitions, I never had a definite idea of exactly what I was meant to do. So, like many others, I went through four years of undergrad and, having graduated with a degree I didn’t know what to do with, I decided to try my hand at law school.  It can’t be that hard… right? Wrong!

Law school is most certainly not the piece of cake I had expected. I knew it would be “hard,” but I was an A student all my life, so I was sure that I would just sail through like I always had. Well, guess what? Everyone in law school had been an A student all their lives. For the first time, I wasn’t the “smartest kid in the class.” My peers and I were neck-and-neck, all striving to prove something to each other, and to ourselves. And suddenly it became very clear to me that the drive and push that I was experiencing, forcing me to learn, to thrive, to succeed—that was the passion I had been looking for all along.

I’m not sure if anyone can truly appreciate this until you’ve experienced it first-hand, but law school changes you. And, despite the grueling hours of reading, the endless cases, and even the paralyzing anxiety of the Socratic method, I can honestly say that it has changed me for the better. I am a completely different person that I was 9 months ago- I am disciplined, thoughtful, thought provoking, and most importantly, proud. It amazes me to think of the amount of work I put in this past year, and the amazing rewards of having learned so much. I view everything- everything- from the eyes of a law student! I can look out my window right now and spot 15 potential torts; I absolutely refuse to sign anything without first reading every single word and making sure there isn’t a hidden unconscionable clause; and I pay particular attention to zoning regulations, with every intention of waging my own war against an unreasonable decree that I happen across.

In any event, law school changes the way you view the world, and the way you view yourself.  And so, here I am! One year down, two to go…  Bring it on, law school! I’m ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment